Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Before Elvis there was nothing" John Lennon

I a sad taste in my mouth as we Left the ranch and made our way to Memphis. Once we reached Memphis it was 37 degrees, hot as hell and so humid, my clothes stuck to my skin. I didn't like Memphis very much, to me it was a big tourist trap, Beale street I imagine way back when was sweet jazz and blues droning the streets with soothing sounds of the night. I could see Elvis Presley walking down the street falling through bar to bar with his entourage of people, smiling with that killer wicked curl of the lip.

Sadly this is Beal street no more, Now we have souvenir shop after souvenir shop with masses of tourists, watching kids flip flop in the streets. Sure theres still jazz but not as authentic as before, its a fucking tourist magnet , end of. I hated the crowds of people sticking to me as the sweat stuck to my skin, I had enough from the moment I got there.

Graceland however to me personally was definitely worth my time. For those who don't know Elvis Presley's Graceland, he built lived and died. I really found it fascinated , I could even sense things or his presence that was once there. I was fascinated at how over the top he was in everything, cars homes,clothes everything, extravagant - I love it! The rooms in his house so beautifully mastered and creatively competed. He had 3 or 4 entertainment room each with different themes and each very inspiring. I have always liked Elvis, I was brought up on Elvis as it filtered through my moms diner where I spent a lot of my childhood days. I wanted to dance like Elvis, Sing Like Elvis , Meet Elvis, hell I even wanted to be Elvis. So yes I am one of those suckers who honestly enjoyed every attraction of Graceland and the the time line life line of Elvis.

I smile at Memphis from this view and this view only, it was not or is not my favorite city and now that I have visited Graceland I doubt I would ever go back. You know cities can be like people , you don't always gel or just because you're in the same place at the same time does not mean you're going to like the same things or each other for that matter, so if Memphis don't like me and I don't like Memphis I'm down with that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

say it